Monday, April 09, 2007

a series of lasts

SK leaves for England Wednesday at 3:30pm and we are in the midst of a series of last everythings before she goes. Last weekend: just completed. Last Monday at work: she's in the middle of it right now. Last walk in Forest Park: will either be yesterday or Wednesday before we go to the airport. All these lasts are pretty depressing.

At least I have my codeine cough syrup to keep me warm at night after she's gone...

We had a very pleasant last weekend, all in all, considering I was sick and she was packing through most of it. She gave me a fantastic acupuncture treatment on Saturday and she also gave me some Chinese herbs that are... let's just say MOVING things in my lungs and sinuses. I hope I don't get sick while SK's gone... I'll have to go to Kaiser and all they've got are pills and, well, codeine cough syrup. So, there are plusses and minuses to that approach.

We watched a couple of bad movies. The first was For Your Consideration, the latest from the troupe who made Best in Show, A Mighty Wind and Waiting for Guffman. I didn't like Waiting for Guffman that much, but I thought the other two were HEEEEElarious. In fact, I saw A Mighty Wind at least three times in the theatre before buying the DVD and watching it repeatedly... and that's just not like me at all.

So I've been excited about their latest spoof -- this one was about the making of a movie called Home for Purim which is set in the '40s and about a family of Southern Jews; the mom is dying and the long lost daughter comes home to announce "I finally did meet the man of my dreams... and HER name is MARY PAT!" That seemed a promising premise to me, but the movie ended up sucking. The movie basically spoofed Hollywood which, as SK put it, "is like making a parody of a parody" -- and it just wasn't funny.

The second bad movie was a British lesbian flick called "Do I Love Her?" which supposedly won an award at the Seattle Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. Well... unless the award was "Best Queer Film Made in Somebody's Garage on a budget of Fifteen Dollars" then I can't imagine what kind of award it could've won. It was excrutiating. We shut it off halfway through and that's saying a lot, because I'll usually stick it out to the very end, even when I'm suffering. It was just that bad.

This means I can no longer give SK a hard time for picking out bad movies, b/c these were both my picks. I am so ashamed. If she wasn't going to be gone for three months, I'd have to put myself on movie probation. As it is, I'll be checking out lots of movies from the library and watching them on all my free evenings... all by myself... in my little hovel... with nothing but cough syrup and DVDs to keep me company. At least then I'll be the only one suffering from my bad movie selections...

Oh, also this weekend we went to dinner at the lovely home of Kiwi and her girlfriend Malibu. We brought a bottle of sparkling wine (NOT REAL CHAMPAGNE, just so you know) and all got a little giddy before dinner. I rarely see SK under the influence and, let me tell you, it's a real treat. I'll keep the particulars to myself... Anyway, the food was good and the conversation good and it was nice to get out. SK and I don't spend a lot of time hanging out with other couples and I enjoyed it this time.

Ok, enough boring everyone with the play by play of our Last Weekend. Sorry. There will probably be more boring "lasts" to recount between now and Wednesday. Then I'll transition seamlessly into boring tales of loneliness and woe... I know you're all on the edge of your seats! Don't worry, it will be worth the wait.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: acupuncture: I'd strongly recommend Dr. Zhou at Ren He Tang in B'ton (right off of 217) -- he is really wonderful. And I'm not an alternative medicine kind of gal, either.

Feel better soon!

12:15 PM  
Blogger zuhn said...

I was pretty disappointed with For Your Consideration too. I don't think I laughed out loud once.

Enjoy your lasts.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home