Thursday, May 17, 2007

meme whore

So when you hold yourself out to the world as a meme-whore, you get tagged for stuff. Melinda, over at Cult of Melinda hit me with one of those vague, ambiguous memes. Ten things about me. Ten things? Isn't my blog always some things about me? I think a little too much "me" sometimes.

But here goes. I will try to think of ten things.

1.) I'm Southern, but I don't have an accent unless I've had at least two beers or I'm hanging out with my friend Leo, and then Leo's accent is SOOOOOO strong, mine doesn't seem like an accent at all, just the barest little lilt.

2.) SK used to always tell me I had spaghetti arms, so now I'm lifting weights to make my arms into, at least, fettucini.

3.) I used to be into bdsm, but I'm not really anymore, although I still love black leather and all the accoutrements. (TMI? Sorry.)

4.) When I was a kid, I was medically diagnosed as lazy. My grandmother thought I was anemic, because all I did was lay around all summer, so she took me to the doctor. It was very optimistic of her, but no. Not anemic. Just lazy.

5.) I actually campaigned for Ross Perot when I was in high school. I guess I didn't technically campaign for him, I collected signatures (at the Ham and Yam Festival, no less) to get him on the ballot in North Carolina back in '92. I'm not really sure why I thought he was so great. I think it was just that I hated (and continue to hate) the two-party system and prefer to vote for third party candidates.

6.) I've been playing the guitar for 19 years.

7.) I use a neti-pot every single day, for sinus health. And also because I'm addicted. Thanks Joolie!

8.) I was the eighth grade badminton champ, which means that, in the eighth grade, in my PE class, I beat every single challenger, male or female, in badminton and Ms. Piper, the dykey gym teacher,said "you're the badminton champ!" And I was very proud.

9.) I used to live in Columbus, Ohio. I moved there for no good reason and I liked it very much.

10.) My picture has been in tattoo magazines two different times. Not because I have awesome tattoos (I mean, I think they're nice, but they aren't winning any medals), but because a group of used to go to tattoo conventions with our friend/tattoo artist Cain, to help him promote himself in the tattoo community. He'd whore us all out to tattoo magazine photographers to try and get himself some publicity. It was pretty fun. Pics of us from a Pittsburgh convention and from a New Orleans convention ended up in magazines. So I am, officially, a badass.

The end. I won't actually tag anyone because I realize that, while I do enjoy being tagged, the novelty has worn off for others. Though, everyone is welcome to scurry off to your own blogs and write your ten things. I'm definitely interested.

10 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

You know, my mom has one of those neti-pots. I saw it and asked her what it was, and she said it helped her sinuses. I said "How? Do you rub it and an ENT doctor pops out?"

11:21 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

The neti-pot and I have had a tumultuous relationship. Sometimes, I think it's my BFF, and then something happens and I feel betrayed and I get a sinus infection... I don't know. I just can't love it like I used to.

11:40 AM  
Blogger LeLo said...

The Ham and Yam Festival?! So many great things to imagine about that one. But in my mind there's Ross Perot's ears. And it just ruins the whole image.

Great post!

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way everyone glosses over your other facts and heads straight for the neti pot...just as I'm about to do. I LOVE my neti pot and I need to get in the habit of using it daily rather than weekly.

12:41 PM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

stacey, eclectic and jane: the neti pot is awesome. it hasn't completely prevented illness or discomfort, but i can definitely tell a quality of life difference on the days when i use it versus the days when i don't.

lelo: the ham and yam festival (breifly mentioned in my post "culture") was a thing we had every year in the shitty little town i grew up in. we celebrated dead pork and orange tubers with country music and funnel cakes. it was about as fun as anything else in that town.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

okay, the neti-pot is scaaaaaaaaary! Nothing, but nothing goes up my nose. That's an EXIT people!

Well, actually, my nose is very sensitive. I used to have really bad spontaneous nosebleeds, (Imagine getting a gushing nosebleed just from washing your face.) so they went in and cauterized everything in this very long, invasive surgery. Yeah. Ich! sometimes, just breathing in too quickly through my nose burns. So, you keep the neti-pot away from me or I'll tell you all about my friend, the spider.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the hell is a neti-pot?

Great list. I feel the same about BDSM as I do about polyamory - great in theory, but in practice, who has the energy? Not me.

4:57 PM  
Blogger zuhn said...

The only thing that's going up my nose is my finger. And maybe cocaine.

And ro, the way you feel about polyamory? That's how I feel about women.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, poet! i actually bought a neti-pot and tried it after reading about it here one day. i had never heard of them before and so was very curious...it worked wonderfully, although i haven't used it lately...

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ zuhn - honey, that explains a LOT.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home