Tuesday, May 01, 2007

NEW FEATURE: tuesday fantasy girlfriend!!!

So, this chick Kristie over on this blog called Spacebeer (sorry, too lazy to work out a link right now) does this Wednesday secret boyfriend thing, which I think is very clever, and I have decided to completely copy her idea, only I'll do it on Tuesdays instead of Wednesdays and I'll do, you know, girls instead of boys.

In honor of my first ever fantasy girlfriend feature, I have decided to dig back into the deep recesses of my tiny little heart/libido and bring out my very first, hardcore, real, true girlcrush. I present to you: Julia Roberts, circa 1988, in the movie Mystic Pizza.Wasn't she so young and cute? To be honest, when I first saw that movie (which I loved and saw so many times, I can still speak along with most of the dialogue... do I own the dvd? Yes I do.)... uh, where was I? Oh, when I first saw that movie, I was actually more moved by Annabeth Gish, who was the dopey innocent one. Julia was also pretty moving to me, but it was the Annabeth/Julia combo that *really* got me, in the scene where Annabeth is on the bed crying and Julia comes in and wraps her arms around her and they hug and hug and... wow... for a youngster, that gave me a sort of melty feeling that wouldn't go away. (Meanwhile, how did I miss the very awesome Lily Taylor?? Who knows. It's like I hardly noticed her at all.)

Anyway, it wasn't until this godawful movie that I finally started loving Julia and Julia alone. That's right: Pretty Woman.After that, I was hooked. I don't know what it was, but I was about 15 and I was just totally smitten. It was so bad that my mom would actually buy me magazines with articles about her, MY MOM, who never did ANYTHING particularly nice. And I had a whole section of wall covered in cut-out pictures of her. I even carried a picture of her around in my wallet, for chrissakes.
But times changed, I grew up, we grew apart, she had a lot of husbands and I had a lot of girlfriends. Now she has babies and pigtails and looks so sweet and motherly. I still have a warm spot in my heart for her, but the passion just isn't there anymore. That's ok, though. You just can't hold onto these things forever. We'll always have Mystic, Connecticut, Julia. Don't worry. I'll never forget you. You'll always be my first FANTASY GIRLFRIEND.

6 Comments:

Blogger zuhn said...

Awww...that's so sweet and yet, also a little creepy.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my god. she was fifteen or so, and i was like...eight? HAYLEY MILLS! I watched the Parent Trap EVERYDAY, and it was extra cool because there were 2 of her! the scene where "they" are singing together, and the one of her is playing the guitar...my...

5:21 PM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

zuhn -- yes. creepy. it's not pretty, i guess, but it's true. i used to be in love with julia roberts.

scg -- YES!! i LOVED the parent trap, ESPECIALLY the scene where they sing together -- one was all butch and one was all femme and there was something so exciting about it all... despite minor details like 1.) they were supposed to be sisters, and 2.) they were actually the same person. oh well.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, "they" were so cool! i remember wishing i could go to camp with them so they would play tricks on me and put honey on my face while i was sleepin and stuff...

how creepy is THAT, zuhn!?

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the fantasy girlfriend idea - also, Mystic Pizza. That crying scene was always, inexplicably, my favourite too. Hmmm.

10:26 AM  
Blogger wen said...

lol. i had the same thing but with jodie foster. my mom used to buy me mags, or cut out articles about her for me. go mom. :)

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home