Friday, April 07, 2006

my scramble

File this under "vapid victuals" -- I'm going to blog about my dinner.

Have you ever had a meal that was so tasty and so unusual that it sticks in your mind for a long, long time? Yeah.

When I first came back to Portland after my brother died, in late winter, 2002, I was living temporarily with some friends. They weren't really friends, they were women I hardly knew, but who were kind enough to offer me a place to land during the most depressing, disorienting time in my life. Unfortunately, that sounds a lot more sweet and comforting than the situation actually turned out to be. One of the women, I'll call her Virgo (b/c that's her evil, nefarious sign), turned out to be a total fucking ass-hole, the only adult (other than CB) I've ever had a screaming, crying argument with. She made a really horrible time in my life that much more stressful and I think if I ever saw her on the street I'd probably go into some kind of PTSD freak-out. (Note to self: please look into these awful women and the power they have over me, like birdlady...)

Anyway, I digress. One morning when I was first back in town (before things went sour), Virgo made an *awesome* omelette for the three of us. They were in the habit of eating a lot of salmon and she'd used leftover salmon from the night before in the omelette, along with a handful of edamame. Seemed like a weird combination, and she presented it with lots of disclaimers, but it turned out to be incredibly yummy. The fish and the eggs worked well together and the edamame gave it all a nice extra layer of texture. I loved it. And I think about it a lot, for some reason. It really stuck in my head.

So, this afternoon as I sat in my coffeeshop and pushed myself past the desire to drink a beer to drown my depression, I started thinking about an omelette. I was reading a book (the same book SK, way over in Australia, is also reading) and the characters were going on and on about a breakfast buffet w/ tons of eggs -- predictably, I found myself craving eggs. So I walked down to the co-op and bought eggs. I already had salmon and edamame. Fast-forward an hour, and I've got a yummy salmon and edamame scramble.

I'm not able to make an omelette. I lack the patience. I can't just let it sit. I must stir it. I MUST stir it. So I end up with scrambles instead of omelettes, which are fine. This one came out pretty good. I put some onions in too, which were tasty. Perhaps the best thing about it is the color: the pink and yellow and green is really appealing. Now I need something sweet. Hmm. Dark-chocolate covered pretzles from Trader Joes, I think. Awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home