Friday, August 18, 2006

absent without leave

Sorry I've been so quiet lately. End of summer finds me working furiously on the rewrite of my paper and researching my latest obsession: going to Spain after I graduate. SK thinks I'm a little bit nuts for sharing my big Spain idea with the world and it definitely goes against my usual Scorpionic guardedness. I've even been talking about it at work with coworkers! Unbelievable. But in my opinion, talking about it right now is a way to surround myself with it and help make it a reality.

Why Spain? I want to go to Europe and I want to learn to speak Spanish by immersion. My very level-headed, practical goal is to get my Spanish polished up pretty well by taking classes and living it every day, then to return to Portland to practice law bilingually, maybe in immigration, maybe just in a low-income setting where Spanish speaking is in-demand. My crazy, far-out, awesome dreams about the trip, however, involve: a long stay on a donkey farm in Andalucia, school and work in a city (yet to be determined), more school and more work, renting my own apartment and finding a whole new, exciting life there.

This last dream is fueled by the story of one of SK's friends who is currently working on a PhD in Spain. He is American and his PhD is costing him 50 Euros a year, according to SK. If I can remain a student for the rest of my life, I will be satisfied. If I could die with PhD attached to my name, so much the better. If I could translate either of those two things (before the dying) to an awesome career that I love and that makes me enough money to pay off my ridiculously huge student loan debt, I will be a completely fulfilled individual.

So that's me. Now back to the paper. Before I can conquor Europe via Spain, I have to conquor the substituted judgment standard and why parental consent for early gender normalizing surgeries should not be considered adequate. I'm almost done with this paper, but for every page I finish, four more pages must be written. It will be good when it's done, but it will have sucked up the last of my summer. Oh well. This will be the *last* last of summer sucked up by law school, there's no debating that. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home