Tuesday, September 26, 2006

speaking too soon is my specialty

Just as I finished that last post, with a nice vision of me in my bed getting some much needed sleep, I was startled out of my little reverie by the very loud and very unwelcome sound of the shrieking fire alarm. My situation was quickly downgraded from stuck-at-work-but-passing-time-amiably-at-a-computer-in-a-nice-office-upstairs-until-time-to-catch-the-bus to helping-with-a-full-scale-building-evacuation-for-no-good-reason-at-1-am.

Fifteen minutes later, 50 annoyed clients are all standing around outside the building in their pajamas, smoking and grumbling and watching me leaning against the front door, waiting for a signal -- they're waiting for a signal from me to let them back in, I'm waiting for a signal from the fire department guys who are all inside scoping out the building which is clearly not on fire in any way. Fire guys come out. All clear. Probably a faulty sensor in the basement.

At least it wasn't burnt popcorn this time, I'm sick of that one. Just once I'd like to come out during the fire alarm and find a raging trash can fire in the smoke room. I'd like it to at least be something interesting, but not actually life-threatening. I guess I missed the night a woman set her mattress on fire and then someone threw it out the window. I don't know if that's actually true, but I have it on good authority. Who knows.

I'm going to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home